Ever since I saw the promo shots of the new Lancôme Blush La Rose, I knew I had to have it.
But after seeing the $60 price tag, I became dismayed. Even more so after I saw the reviews that started popping up all over YouTube. That got me to thinking. Wouldn’t it be fairly simple to do this with any powder product or pigment? So, I made a plan of action and headed to my local dollar store.
What you will need:
A box to put the finished product in
A plastic container with a lid
An empty bowl
Rubbing Alcohol (between 70-100% alcohol for best results)
A highlighter, blush, or pigment
Hot glue gun (not pictured)
Step 1: If using a blush or pressed product, break it up as fine as possible. Looking back, I would recommend using a coffee grinder to finely mill the product or just use a pigment so you get a smooth application when applied to the flower.
Step 2: Move the product into the container with the jar and submerge the flower in a bowl of alcohol. Make sure the flower is fully saturated and then blot of the excess on a paper towel so that it is not dripping wet.
Step 3: Place the flower into the container and fasten the lid on top. Shake the container around so as to disperse the pigment and cover the flower.
Step 4: Carefully take the flower out of the container and place it on a paper towel to dry completely. I recommend waiting at least a couple hours. A full 24 hours is ideal if you have the time and patience.
After the flowers have dried, it is time to place them in their container. I put the blush flower into a pretty silver box and the highlighter into a small glass bowl.
I tried three different products. The first (top) is a blush that I purchased at the dollar store and crushed while the bottom in an elf highlighter where I did the same. Both turned out beautiful, but were a little clumpy, seeing as the knife I used to crush the pressed powder did not make it fine enough. I would recommend putting a pressed powder through a coffee grinder to make sure it is fine enough.
The middle Rose is a highlighter that I created by mixing several different pigments. The pigments were so fine that they evenly covered the flower without there being any small clumps of product.
Hope you have a Happy Valentine’s Day!